At a glance
|Season:||June to September (Saturday Departures)|
|Departures:||15, 29th June, 13th July, 10th August, 7th Sept|
|Best for:||Natural World and scenery lovers, walkers/hikers, birdwatchers, seafarers|
|Staying At:||Option of boutique hotels in Reykjavik and M/S Panorama|
Iceland is a country that is waiting to be explored, and you’ll navigate to hard-to-reach areas, unlocking the secrets of the west coast on this 9-day ship adventure cruise. Experience rugged landscapes, ancient stories of Vikings and the Norse, and exceptional wildlife viewing opportunities.
Enjoy the comfort and amazing service aboard the M/S Panorama, as you cast off from Akureyri and cruise past soaring coastal cliffs lined with birds to the far north-western reaches of the island, where few travellers tread.
Disembark to learn about Iceland’s unique heritage and appealing culture, exploring historic museums and towns – from tiny fishing villages to the country’s northernmost city Siglufjordur. See Europe’s most powerful glacier, Walk to waterfalls of the gods, , choose to visit volcanoes on an isolated island, then dock in fascinating Reykjavik.
This cruise will reveal the inspirational, ancient, and untamed beauty of Iceland.
15, 29th June, 13th July, 10th August, 7th Sept
Arrive at Keflavík International Airport and meet your transfer to your hotel in Reykjavik.
Afternoon and Evening at your leisure to explore the sights of Reykjavik.
Transfer from your hotel back to Arrive at Keflavík International Airport.
Internal flight from Reykjavik to Akureyri Airport .
Transfer from Akureyri airport to M/S Panorama.
Embarkation of vessel 3-4pm.
Optional late afternoon walking excursion in Akureyri.
Overnight in Port.
This morning our full day optional excursion will take you from Akureyri to Husavik (where you will meet the Panorama in the evening). We take the Ring Road to reach Godafoss Waterfall - the Falls of the Gods - and will hear about the Kristni Saga, recounting the arrival of Christianity and the end of Paganism. After lunch we visit Lake Myvatn, Namarksard and Dimmuborgir, all fine examples of the volcanic world with lava fields, boiling and steaming mud pools, steam vents and craters. We rejoin the Panorama in Husavik midafternoon. Time to walk around this colorful port or option to take a late afternoon whale watching excursion. Passengers not taking the excursion will be sailing from Akureyri to Husavik with the Panorama.
Overnight in port.
Morning sailing through the Skjafandi Bay to Siglufjordur. As always our Captain will inform you of whale sightings. Mid-day we reach Siglufjordur, Iceland's northernmost city, very close to the Arctic Circle and possibly the most picturesque port of Iceland. Once known as the capital of Herring fishing. The optional walking excursion through the city will take you to the port, the Herring Museum, the Folk Music center housed in Madame House, the oldest house in the city. Late afternoon we sail to the port of Isafjordur.
Overnight at sea.
After breakfast onboard, disembark for an optional tour to Thingeyri village and the interactive Viking Museum. After the “Viking experience” we return to Isafjordur and visit the Maritime and Heritage Museum, highlighting the rich history and culture of this fishing community.Return to Panorama. Late afternoon, we cruise around the Westfjords on our way to the picturesque Patreksfjordur.
Today we can choose from 2 optional excursions:
1. The optional Westfjord adventure excursion starts from our port and reaches the Látrabjarg cliffs, with the largest seabird colony in the northern Atlantic famous for its puffins colony. Your next stop is at Rauðasandur or “Red Sand” beach, distinct itself from most of Iceland’s beaches, as it is golden and pink in color. We will ride on a tractor carriage with our expert guide and local farmer along the beach to the seal colony, where you can see the seals up close
2. The optional excursion to the Dynjandi waterfall, one of the most beautiful in Iceland and Bildudalur for a visit to the sea monsters museum. Late afternoon we sail to Akranes.
Overnight at sea
Morning arrival to Akranes and disembark by tenders for our 2 Optional excursions:
1. The Vikings saga optional excursion: You will reach Deildartunguhver, Europe's most powerful thermal spring, to the Hraunfossar and Barnafoss waterfalls area. We will stop in Reykholt which was the intellectual centers of the island.
2. The Langjokull Glacier optional excursion: We drive to Iceland’s majestic hinterland, the Langjökull glacier, Iceland’s second largest glacier. At the Langjökull, (“The Long Glacier”, 360 m. 4,460 ft.) you will visit the Ice Cave, a man-made cave that consists of a series of tunnels and caves carved through solid glacier ice. There is also an ice chapel and an ice bar. Our guide will tell you about glaciology and how climate change is affecting the glaciers. After lunch you will drive to Hraunfoss and Barnafoss - two of Iceland's most picturesque waterfalls, located close to Húsafell. Your return to Akranes will take you along the coastline, back to the pier for embarkation and a late afternoon sailing to Reykjavik. Evening arrival in Reykjavik.
Overnight in port
Our Golden Circle Optional excursion will start at the Thingvellir National Park, a place of tremendous interest as a primary site of both Iceland’s geological and historical heritage. The tour continues to Gulfoss, Iceland's most beautiful waterfall and then to the Geysir geothermal area with its multitude of hot springs, where the most active one, Strokkur, spouts every few minutes. We stop at the Hveragerdi village, where geothermal water has been used to build up an extensive greenhouse industry and then at the Hellisheiði Geothermal Power Plant showcasing Iceland's ability to supply green power. Our tour end as we pass through Reykjavik’s city center before arriving at the pier.
Overnight in port
Disembarkation 6 am-10 am.
Transfer from Reykjavik port to Keflavík International Airport
Return flight from Keflavík International Airport back to the UK
Itinerary includes as standard:
- International Flights from UK to Reykjavik and Internal one way flight from Reykjavik to Akureyri.
- Overnight hotel in Reykjavik .
- Full-board: Buffet breakfast and two meals daily, including a Welcome Cocktail, a local Theme Evening , fun BBQ (weather permitting) and Captain’s Dinner.
- Regular (filter) coffee, tea and drinking water free all day.
- Use of fishing and snorkelling equipment (subject to availability).
- English-Speaking Cruise Escort.
Addition optional experiences which can be added to the itinerary:
- Golden Circle
- Viking Saga
- Langjokiull Glacier
- Westford Adventure
- Dynjandi Waterfall
- Thingeyri Village and Viking Museum
- Whale watching
- Lake Myvatn and Godafoss